Asparagus Salad With Lemon And Garlic Mayonnaise
- 1 kg medium–thick white asparagus
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- generous pinch of salt
- 200 g smoked ham, trimmed of excess fat
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- Lemon and garlic mayonnaise:
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon–flavoured olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 g) yoghurt
- salt and ground white pepper
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 20 minutes
1. Remove woody ends from asparagus. Peel stalks thinly. Half fill a large saucepan with water, add sugar and salt and bring to a boil. Add asparagus, cook 18 to 20 minutes, depending on thickness, or until crisp–tender. Remove asparagus from pan. Drain; keep warm until serving.
2. Cut ham into wide strips and arrange over base of serving dish.
3. To make lemon and garlic mayonnaise, pound garlic and salt to a fine paste in a medium bowl. Add egg yolk and 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice. Whisk vigorously until thickened.
4. Whisk both olive oils into the mixture, drop by drop, until it starts to thicken. Add remainder in a thin, steady stream until well combined. Add yogurt and remaining lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
5. Place asparagus on top of ham, coat with a little mayonnaise and sprinkle with parsley leaves. Serve remaining mayonnaise in a separate bowl.
gourmet salad recipes