Broccoli and Pearl Barley Salad Recipe
- Serves: 4
- 150 g (5½ oz) pearl barley
- 200 g (7 oz) broccoli, cut into small florets
- 3 courgettes, thickly sliced
- 100 g (3½ oz) sugarsnap peas, halved
- 55 g (2 oz) ready-to-eat dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 30 g (1 oz) pumpkin seeds
- salt and pepper
- Spicy tomato dressing:
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- dash of Tabasco sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander or parsley (optional)
Prep: 50 mins
1. Rinse the barley in one or two changes of water – do this in a bowl, swirling the grains with your fingers and pouring off the cloudy water. Drain the barley in a sieve, then place it in a saucepan and pour in 750 ml (1 1/4 pints) cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover the pan. Simmer the barley very gently for about 30 minutes or until most of the water has been absorbed and the grains are tender but still firm. Drain the barley well.
2. While the barley is cooking, bring a second pan of water to the boil. Add the broccoli florets, courgettes and sugarsnap peas and bring back to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the vegetables for 3–4 minutes or until they are just tender but still crisp, then drain well and rinse briefly with cold water to refresh and stop the cooking.
3. Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir in the apricots. Add the barley and vegetables as soon as they are cooked, and mix well to coat with the dressing. Check the seasoning, then cover and allow to cool until just warm.
4. Add the pumpkin seeds to the salad just before serving, warm or cold. Soda bread or wholemeal bread are good accompaniments.
low cholesterol diet recipes,diet recipes,health recipes,low cholestrol recipes